Inspiring Each Other to Glorify Christ by Growing, Connecting & Reaching
The Church is God's spiritual family. It is made up of all those who have chosen to place their trust and faith in Jesus and who are His followers (disciples). The Church is not a building or one particular group of believers. To belong to the Church, is to belong to Jesus. The Bible uses the analogy that Jesus is the Head of the Church, which is His body. God's will is for the Church to gather regularly to worship its Head, Jesus, to use its various gifts and abilities to serve its Head, to love and encourage those who are in the body, and to work diligently to maintain the unity of the body. It is expected that every member of the church will assemble for worship on each Lord's day and participate in the sharing of the Lord's supper, which is a central part of the worship service. The whole church family invests in the spiritual growth of each other, especially our children and teens. Therefore we believe the assembly of the saints should take precedence over all other activities so that all will be edified and our youth will grow in admonition of the Lord. Church should be a hospital for the hurting. A place to turn to - seeking guidance and peace from sin and sorrow - not a place to be condemned. Church is where we should all turn for reconciliation. As the members of His Church love one another and maintain unity of purpose and relationship, the world around us will recognize that we belong to Jesus. The Church or body is to seek to do the will of God, which also includes loving and saving the world through Jesus Christ. The church is guided by the Word of God.
Matthew 16:15-18; John 17:20-23; John 13:34-35; Acts 2:42-47; Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 12:12-27; Ephesians 1:22-23; Ephesians 2:19-22; 1 Peter 2:4-10
Hospital / Rehab:
- ♥ Linda Brothers, mother of Donna Massa, remains in AdamsPlace.
- ♥ Sarah Durham, one of our shut-ins, is undergoing rehab.
- ♥ Brandon Flores, son of Melvin (preacher at the AFC clinic in Honduras) and Sindy Flores, is undergoing treatment in Pediatric ICU in Honduras due to breathing issues.
- ♥ Lissa Hale, a good friend of Amanda Gilreath, continues rehab.
- ♥ Genny Hoover continues rehab in Life Care of Hickory Woods room 323 following back surgery. Visitors are welcomed!
- ♥ Dean Lawrence, aunt of Faith Dodson, is undergoing treatment in Summit Hospital in Hermitage for a reoccurrence of cancer which has spread to her organs.
- ♥ Dolores Love, mother of Sandra Jones, continues rehab at Life Care of Hickory Woods in room 317.
- ♥ Richard Martin, brother of June Sears, is scheduled to be dismissed from rehab in Lancaster, OH.
- ♥ John Russell remains in Life Care of Hickory Woods room 306.
- ♥ Peggy Taylor continues rehab in Life Care of Hickory Woods room 303 after being hospitalized for a fractured leg. Visitors are welcomed!
- ♥ Hayes Wakefield, friend of Barbara Grimes, continues radiation at MD Anderson following brain surgery.
- ♥ Harrison Waldron, nephew of Sharon Smith, is scheduled to undergo an evaluation in Chicago at The Shirley Ryan Ability Lab this week.
- ♥ Ruth Young, mother of Gloria Harris and grandmother of Michelle Heil, remains in Life Care of Hickory Woods room 316.
- ♥ Linda Brothers, mother of Donna Massa, is doing much better and will continue with home health care.
- ♥ Alex Cagle, nephew of Bud and Joan Cagle, is scheduled to undergo a bone marrow transplant tentatively this Wednesday, November 14th.
- ♥ Orien Dickerson is recovering and doing well following surgery last week. He thanks everyone for your prayers on his behalf.
- ♥ Thatcher Dunn, grandson of Roy and Kay Helton, is staying at Roy and Kay’s house for a few days and plans to go home to his family this weekend! Praise God that his results came back cancer free!
- ♥ Phil Hancock is scheduled to undergo a CT scan on November 26th.
- ♥ Will Haynes is recovering following successful surgery to remove a large benign growth on his face.
- ♥ Duane Hill continues tests and treatment for a skin condition.
- ♥ Jim Martin, brother of June Sears, received news from his recent biopsy that there are no signs of cancer! June thanks you for your prayers.
- ♥ Joe Reynolds remains under the care of Hospice.
- ♥ Nancy Simmons is awaiting biopsy results to determine the cause of a severe rash that she has suffered with for weeks.
- ♥ LaDonna Swaim is improving and continues medication for migraine headaches. Prayers are requested for relief of her pain.
- ♥ Richard Vaughn, friend of Allan Lane, continues treatment for cancer.
- ♥ Pray for the families of the victims, which included one Pepperdine student, who lost their lives in the California shooting last week.
Thanks to everyone for your prayers and support for the successful surgery to remove a benign cancerous tumor from my face. I still have stitches and bruises all over the area and I’m afraid it will scare too many, so I may stay homebound for a while. Phyllis is taking great care of me and I have little pain … just discomfort. Thanks again for your prayers. In Christian love, Will Haynes
Card Making Class
The greeting card-making class will be held this Thursday, November 15th at 6:30 p.m. in the fellowship hall. Remember to bring your supplies!
Men Retreat—November 16-18
Men, this is just a friendly reminder to fill out your registration forms for the men’s retreat this weekend and turned them in to Bud Cagle by this Wednesday! Application forms and information/schedule sheets are available in the main foyer
The congregation is invited to a potluck wedding shower in honor of Jake Allen and Hannah Weller this Sunday, November 18th in the fellow- ship hall following the morning Bible class period. Please bring a covered dish to share; cake and punch will be provided for dessert. Jake and Hannah are registered at Bed, Bath & Beyond and Target. Jake is the son of Clark and Judy Allen.
From The Church Office
Due to vacation scheduling of several of the office staff, the church office will be closed next week for the Thanksgiving holidays. The Smyrna Highlights bulletin will not be published next week. We wish you a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
Mark your calendars! A potluck baby shower will be held for Krista Cothron on Sunday, December 2nd in the fellowship hall following the morning Bible classes. Please bring a potluck food to share; cake and punch will be provided for dessert. Krista and her husband, Matt are expecting a girl named Kennedy Nicole. Krista and Matt are registered at Amazon, Target and Walmart
Cancer Support Group
The cancer support group will meet on Monday, December 3rd at 6:00 p.m. in the fellowship hall.
“Young at Heart” Christmas Party!
Mark your calendars! The “Young at Heart” Christmas party will be held on Tuesday, December 11th at 6:00 p.m. in the fellowship hall. The meal will cost $7. Please call the church office to let us know you are coming!
Breakfast with Santa
December 8th – Come join us in the Fellowship Hall for pancakes, crafts, and a visit with Santa
3rd & 5th grades Oct. Jan. 30th (Last Wed. of the quarter) also: May 1st July 31st
Easter Egg Hunt
April 13th @ 10a